Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sunday's a day of rest

9.24.07

Sunday was a day to relax and settle in. Took ferry a few hundred to Iririki Island resort with the fellows. All of the group arrived and played in and by the pool. Relaxing and refreshing. Evan and I walked Jade and Kensie back to our room to change and then started to walk across town to their place. It was drizzling, then rain and then pouring. We got soaked to skin. But never cold. Here everyone smile and says “halo”. I love it. Bet they thought we were a bit nuts walking so wet in the rain. At the girls hotel eventually most arrived. Some snacks. Talk of kava and dinner. I didn’t care for kava and finally no one else going to eat but Evan and I. We took bus to home and into dry clothes. Across the street is very nice restaurant. Nice talk and pretty good food. Back to home and some paperwork and playing with Itunes.
So excited to get started. I hanker for the real life. Don’t want to be a tourist, visitor. I want the real life. I want to learn the language, the ways and do my part.
The most beautiful woman here is the Korean woman, Justine, who runs this B&B. She is classically small. Wears khaki short shorts and white blouse. She is here 3.5 years with two daughters. Another way to be.
One fellow volunteer’s mom is here. Sannie, she’s retired in Costa Rica. Tells of her son and her excitement for him. There are so many ways to be. So many things to do. See.
When we arrived at the hotel a Frenchman was playing the clarinet. I just spoke with him, Luc. Working here. There again ar so many things to do. I’m American, but also a citizen of planet earth. It exploration time.
I’m a talker, a story teller. Love to converse. Will ther be a time when I can be quiet. Of course I know how. Look at the days in Alameda, working on glass with no one around. I enjoyed being alone. I’m an in the now fellow. Less about the future. Less about the past. Just be and do now.

1 comment:

Where in the world is Miss Dobie? said...

Hey Dale--Pure poetry-This is great; I can picture everything you write! Looking forward to reading more. Evan sounds like a good bud already! ---I am off to Hong Kong, Thailand and Cambodia on Sunday..... taking typhoid and the Malaria meds too--so don't feel alone. I heard from the school group today. I will keep you posted too! This one is for my class but I doubt I will have time to write as we will be on the go--pretty fast trip--But you are a good blogger role model!
Take care, Chris
http://missdobie.blogspot.com/